Coconut pandan chiffon cake is not difficult to make, I used the same method how to make old chiffon cake recipe.just only have some twist we used different flavours as we like. You can add to your Christmas cake menu just simply frost with white chocolate buttercream and filled with coconut mascarpone cheese filling and sprinkle with the desiccated coconut as I do.
For the cake:
- 1 1/4 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg (separates egg whites from egg yolks) room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp pandan extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Few drop gel food colour ( light green)
- 4 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 3 oz. grated coconut
For white chocolate buttercream:
- 4 oz. white chocolate
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 cup unsalted butter ( softened)
- 3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup desiccated coconut for sprinkle
- Pre heat the oven at 160 C . Grease the chiffon cake pan sprinkle with flour from bottom and sides of the pan then set a side.
- In a large bowl combine sifted cake flour, baking powder, salt,1/2 cup of granulated sugar mix until incorporated.
- Then add the vegetable oil, egg yolks, coconut milk, pandan extract, gel food colour using hand mixer beat until well combined and set aside.
- Make the meringue, beat egg white and cream of tartar on high speed until frothy. Gradually add in the 1/2 cup granulated sugar continue beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- Then gently fold the egg whites or meringue mixture to the egg yolks mixture. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into 9″inch chiffon cake pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the top spring back when lightly touched. Remove cake from the oven invert the into the wire rack and let cool completely.
- To release cake carefully run the thin knife around the side of the pan then invert and start to layer the cake.
- Stir together the mascarpone cheese powder sugar, vanilla extract in a large bowl mix just until combined.
- Beat the whipping cream at low speed using hand mixer until foamy, increase the speed to medium speed and beat until soft peaks form.
- Then fold into mascarpone mixture until well combine and add grated coconut and stir well. Spread the mixture to the layer cake. Pop to the fridge while you make the butter cream.
- To make white chocolate buttercream, microwave the white chocolate and whipping cream at medium power for 40 seconds or until melted and smooth stirring, let it cool.
- Beat the butter and powder sugar at low speed using hand mixer until blended then add the white chocolate, and vanilla continue beating increased speed to high speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- Spread the frosting on the top and side of the cake . And gently press the desiccated coconut.